2023 State budget lines for media and information policy
November 3 – The 2023 state budget was approved by parliament with 295 MP votes (226 is the necessary minimum). The budget lines dedicated to media and information policy are as follows (the figures below are from the draft law before the second reading, the approved state budget has not been published yet):
- National Public Broadcasting Company:
- 2023 – UAH 1,504,236,500.00 ($37,605,912.50);
- 2022 – UAH 1,871,276,700.00 ($46,781,917.50);
- According to the law (0.2% of expenditures of the National Budget for the previous year) – UAH 5,226,274,909.00 ($130,656,872.72).
- National Council of TV and Radio Broadcasting:
- 2023 – UAH 159,336,700.00 ($3,983,417.50);
- 2022 – UAH 196,712,000.00 ($4,917,800.00).
The National Council will have to implement an array of new activities once the law “On Media” is approved including the transfer to a convergent regulator dealing with online and traditional media. At the same time, the budgeted amount is lower compared to 2022, so there will be a lack of resources to fully implement the activities assigned by the new law “On Media.”
- The Ministry of Culture and Information Policy:
- 2023 – around $1,000,000;
- 2022 – $1,250,000.
The ministry will conduct a number of information campaigns and events, e.g., celebration of the Ukrainian philosopher and writer Hryhoriy Skovoroda’s 300th birthday and media literacy activities.
- Freedom TV channel and Ukrinform:
- 2023 – UAH 1,934,977,950.00 ($48,374,447.50). Around 45% of these funds will go to Ukrinform;
- 2022 – UAH 268,543,900.00 ($6,713,597.50).
- “Rada” TV channel and “Holos Ukrayiny” newspaper will receive UAH 72,947,800.00 ($ 1.823.695,00).
- National media literacy programs (including Filter):
- 2023 – UAH40,500,000.00 ($1,012,500.00);
- 2022 – UAH50,000,000.00 ($1,250,000.00).
- Ukrainian Cultural Fund will receive UAH 206,729,200.00 ($5,168,230.00).
- National Union of Journalists in Ukraine will receive around 1,500,000 hryvnias (around $37,000).
- Ukrainian language ombudsperson (mostly performs controlling activities) will receive around 17,000,000 hryvnias (around $421,000).
Media of the Ministry of Defense (Armiya.info, Amiya FM), and the press center of the Ministry of Reintegration will be funded under the budget lines of the Ministry of Defense and the Ministry of Reintegration; information about the amounts is classified.
Photo credit: Towfiqu Barbhuiya on Unsplash