CEDEM and IMC Host Discussion on Media Self-regulation
June 29-30 – The Centre for Democracy and Rule of Law (CEDEM) and the Independent Media Council (IMC) held a two-day online discussion titled “Issues of Media Self-regulation” for 16 journalists and media experts.
Moderator – Taras Petriv (head of Suspilnist Foundation, associate professor of National Taras Shevchenko University, School of Journalism).
- Gillian McCormack – director of Internews in Ukraine;
- Andriy Kulykov – head of the Commission on Journalism Ethics (CJE);
- Tetyana Lebedeva – CJE member;
- Natalia Ligachova – head of Detector Media;
- Danylo Mokryk – blogger;
- Roman Holovenko – media lawyer, Institute of Mass Information;
- Antonina Cherevko – head of the Independent Media Council;
- Igor Rozkladai – deputy director of the Center for Democracy and Rule of Law;
- Yevhen Fedchenko – Stop Fake!; and
- Svitlana Ostapa – head of the UA:PBC supervisory board.
The two-day discussion covered the following issues:
- Standards for modern-day journalists;
- Bloggers’ role in journalism;
- Specifics of online media;
- Press cards; and
- Soviet-era tradition of conferring the title of Honored Journalist of Ukraine.
Photo: Chris Montgome on Unsplash