Internews Announces 2019 Parliamentary Elections Grants Competition
Improving Parliamentary Elections Coverage
Internews’ Media Program in Ukraine (MPU), a project funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), invites Ukrainian media organizations, media outlets and civil society organizations to submit project proposals to the 2019 Parliamentary Elections Grants Competition.
Internews will support projects that contribute to the Media Program objective of increasing high-quality, engaging content throughout Ukraine, particularly in the East and South, and especially improving elections coverage:
• Support and promote free and transparent elections;
• Improve elections coverage to bolster public debate on policy through media;
• Support media independence, increase the variety of high-quality, balanced news;
• Tackle disinformation through debunking, networking journalists around the country, or creating critical thinking tools to aid voters in making an informed choice.
This grants competition is a focused but flexible mechanism that provides opportunities to design innovative, experimental short-term projects. Grantees should demonstrate plans for soliciting the opinions of and/or reaching out to women and minority groups, with a focus on citizens in the East and South. Project selection will be based on applicants’ ability to demonstrate concrete achievements that show impact in the media sector.
The average amount of awarded grants will be around US$35,000 for projects of up to 10-months’ duration but larger proposals will be considered if concepts, budgets and time-lines are well justified.
Proposed projects may include (but are not limited to) the following illustrative activities:
• Production of balanced professional media content that engages with audiences and seeks to foster public debate on policy issues.
• Organizing national and local candidate/party debates.
• Conducting voter education campaigns and encouraging young and first-time voters to exercise their right to vote.
• Providing legal assistance for journalists covering elections.
• Producing content or organizing activities that promote inclusivity, through women’s participation in elections (as voters, candidates and other stakeholders) as well as that of minority groups that face discrimination.
• Carrying out media monitoring to assess the quality and impartiality of coverage as well as covert attempts to manipulate public opinion.
• Training journalists and media specialists in fact-checking, journalistic ethics and how to cover elections in ways that build public confidence.
Grant Proposal Writing Instructions:
All proposals should be submitted in Times New Roman, 12 point, single space. The proposal structure includes the following sections:
I. Cover Page – 1 page
This page should contain the following information:
A. Project Title
B. Brief Project Description. In one paragraph, clearly and concisely summarize your project
C. Organization. Name and contact information – mailing address, e-mail, phone, cell phone and website
D. Project Coordinator. Full name and contact information – e-mail and cell phone
E. An additional contact person who will follow the project’s progress. Full name and contact information – e-mail and cell phone
F. Project Duration (in months)
G. Amount Requested from MPU; in USD
H. Your organization’s cost share contribution (10% of the amount requested from MPU) in USD.
II. Program Description – 5 Pages Maximum
A. Description of project goals and objectives connected to MPU objectives
B. Activities to achieve project goals
C. Expected results, outcomes, outputs and project impact
D. Monitoring and evaluation tools and indicators
E. Timetable (monthly) that explains project logic and implementation
G. Organization background – two paragraphs maximum
III. Budget – Excel Format – Must Use Attached Template
The budget should describe major expense categories that show clear cost-effectiveness. The suggested cost share should be no less that 10 percent of the requested sum of the grant. Justification for each cost (budget line) should be inserted to the right of the tab.
Link to the Budget Template: BudgetTemplate_MPU_Proposals
IV. Capacity and Previous Experience in Project Implementation – No More Than One Page:
A. Business or Project Management Experience
B. Previous Grants Received
Internews encourages newly established organizations to submit proposals. If your organization is new to media project implementation, please refer to other relevant projects you have carried out, indicating the competence of primary employees and consultants to be responsible for implementing the proposed project.
Deadline: Project proposals, in English and Ukrainian, marked “USAID-Internews 2019 Parliamentary Elections” to be submitted no later than February 28, 18:00 (Kyiv time).
Proposals should be sent electronically to UA-MPU@internews.org
Telephone enquires can be made on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 12:00 to 15:00 at these numbers: 067-119-8173; 067-341-4996.
Proposals which do not correspond to MPU’s priority activities and requirements will not be considered.
A jury of independent experts will evaluate all proposals, compile a short list and select the winners. Please, note that only shortlisted and winning applicants will be contacted.
Internews may contact an applicant organization if any additional information regarding the submitted proposal is required.
Please note the project consideration process can take one calendar month.
All awards are subject to available funding and USAID approval.
Grant Selection Criteria
Each proposal will receive an appropriate number of points according to the following criteria:
1. The cost share is no less that 10 percent of the requested amount.
2. The proposal offers an innovative approach for achieving the Media Program in Ukraine’s priorities.
3. The project can achieve expected results in the referenced period of time.
4. Recommended types of activities make achieving expected results possible.
5. The applicant demonstrates sufficient technical skills, experience and capacity to achieve the proposed activities.
6. The project budget is reasonable and cost effective.