Liga.net Training on Media Financial Sustainability
June 11 and 18 – Liga.net organized two online training sessions on financial sustainability for over 100 editors and media managers, entitled “How to Make Readers Pay for Content?” More than 5,000 Ukrainians have subscribed to Liga.net since its paid subscription system was launched in spring 2020, soon after quarantine restrictions were imposed in Ukraine. Now Liga.net can pay one third of its journalists using the subscription funds.
The following topics were covered:
- Values that define media identity;
- Crowdfunding campaign: setting goals and communication with the audience;
- Strategy for newsroom products;
- Principles of effective fundraising; and
- Reality check: what did and did not work out for Liga and why?
- Borys Davydenko, Liga.net editor-in-chief,
- Petro Shuklinov, editor of Liga.net socio-political department,
- Anastasia Tugay, head of Liga.net social media department,
- Sevgil Musayeva, editor-in-chief of Ukrayinska Pravda,
- Taras Prokopyshyn, co-founder of the Ukrainians online media, and
- Natalia Burlaku, editor-in-chief of te.20minut.ua.
Upon completion of the training, participants developed detailed plans on how to hold strategic sessions at their newsrooms to answer the most crucial questions:
- How to understand the audience;
- How to formulate the newsroom’s values; and
- How to follow journalism ethics to start changing the newsroom’s business model.
Photo: Marvin Meyer on Unsplash