Ukrainian Foundation for Security Studies Provides Recommendations for Ukraine’s Information Security Strategy
July 4 – During the discussion “Democracy in Digital World: New Opportunities and Challenges” at Ukrinform agency on July 2, 2021, representatives of the Ukrainian Foundation for Security Studies think tank presented the results of research entitled Influences in Digital Space: How Europe Is Searching for Its Way in Counteraction and What Ukraine Can Borrow from it. The research was conducted with the support of the EU and the International Renaissance Foundation, as part of the EU4USociety project.
The head of the Ukrainian Foundation for Security Studies, Yulia Kazdobina, said the following issues were researched:
- Global digital context of operations of influence;
- Regulatory definition of the concept and tools of influence;
- Evolution of EU approaches to counteract malign information influence;
- NATO’s response to hybrid threats;
- Reactions on social media to issues of influence; and
- New challenges related to the coronavirus pandemic and conspiracy theories.
The research provided recommendations for improvements to Ukraine’s Information Security Strategy. On April 2, 2021, the draft decision of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine “On the Information Security Strategy” appeared on the official website of the Ministry of Culture and Information Policy. Regarding the Information Security Strategy, the Foundation recommended the following:
- Specify the goal of the strategy;
- Highlight that “Ukraine’s limited capacity to respond to disinformation campaigns” [quoted from the Information Security Strategy] is not the result of institutional limits but society’s inability to identify and reject disinformation;
- Add definitions for “special information operation” and “foreign intervention in information space;”
- Improve the definition of the term “strategic narrative;”
- Consider the experience of social media in the development of legislation to combat disinformation and operations of influence;
- Provide public supervision over actions of law enforcement agencies in the information sphere;
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the measures proposed within the Information Security Strategy;
- Work on society’s resilience in the face of influences on information security;
- Improve sustainability by increasing citizen trust in state institutions and the development of media literacy; and
- Coordinate Ukraine’s actions with those of international partners.
The full text of the research is here.
More on Detector Media in Ukrainian.
Photo by Mika Baumeister on Unsplash